After taking charge and insisting that Doll sleep in her crib and not next to me, I came upon a problem I had never heard of before; the need to baby-proof Doll’s crib. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Despite how it sounds, I’m quite serious.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links.
Having fairly recently transitioned from co-sleeping to a crib, Doll was often rather upset at nap and bedtime. She would stand at the rail crying and throw her head up and down. It wasn’t uncommon for her to hit her mouth on the top of the railing and though it disturbed me very much, I never could think of a way to make her stop. I was hoping she would realize it hurt and stop by herself.
But then, one day at nap time, she hit her teeth on the rail so hard she left two big indents of her top front teeth! I was horrified and decided something must be done immediately. While Hubby watched over her napping I rushed out to Dollar Tree and purchased four of those water noodles.
The idea being to slit one side of each noodle so it opens up and can be put on the top rails of her crib.
Now, I knew we couldn’t just line her crib with those because if I know Doll (and I’m fairly certain I do) she would take bites out of the noodles and possibly swallow them.
So then I sewed cloth covers to go over top of the noodles that tie on at the ends and also button on between the slats so she can’t get them off. They also hold the noodles on (Doll thinks it’s quite fun to pull them off whenever she can).
I cut out and hemmed the edges of:
2 pieces of long rectangle cloth for the long sides of the crib
2 pieces of short rectangle cloth for the short sides of the crib
16 strips to use as ties (two on each noodle end)
And cut out 8 short elastics (so the fabric would hug the ends of the noodles).
I double-hemmed all the edges of the rectangles, encasing the elastic in the second hem of each end and also attaching the ties.
Oh, let me go back a step to making the ties:
When cutting out the tie pieces I made them twice as wide as I wanted them. I used a bias tool to fold the long edges into the center and I ironed it as it came out of the tool.
Then I zigzag stitched down the center and hemmed one end of the tie. The non-hemmed ends get sewn onto the covers in the previous (technically next) step.
Only after getting the ties sewn onto each of the ends of the rectangle pieces did I clue in that it would take more than being tied down on either end to foil Doll in her remove-the-covers mission.
Sometimes I’m so smart I cringe.
It seemed painfully impractical (not to mention tedious) to make … really just one single more tie. I didn’t think I had it in me.
Then I came up with a brilliant idea!
… What do you mean it’s not that brilliant?
Anyway, so I made simple straps (just a rectangle of fabric, folded over, and zigzag stitched along the open ends. So yes, I left the edges raw. Sue me.) Then I YouTubed (is that word in the dictionary yet?) how to make a buttonhole.
And after sorting through my woefully pitiful supply of buttons I resorted to stealing a whole bunch of green buttons from my niece (with her mother’s permission) and sewing buttons and buttonholes all over the places.
The buttonholes are on the ends of the green straps and the buttons are on the covers themselves. On the short sides of the crib there’s a button between every slat and on the long side it’s every second gap. If you care.
They work like a charm! Doll cannot get them off therefore she cannot get at the noodles to nibble at, nor get the noodles off in order to leave dental impressions on the crib.
I know lots of babies chew on their cribs and I’d love to hear how you dealt with it!
The Tale of Mummyhood